Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Adding to our family



We would like you to meet the newest member of our family, Daisy. While we were preparing our garden I secretly had the kids working with me in a special flower bed as well. Little did they know we were preparing a turtle habitat. Why turtles you ask? I don't even know. I was staring at that very empty flower bed right outside our back door wondering what to do with it. Of course I couldn't do something like flowers right!? Hannah had put the idea in my mind about having another pet. What kind of pet doesn't stink up the house, doesn't need to be potty trained, doesn't need their cage cleaned every other week, does not gross me out if it gets lost in the house, and doesn't cost that much to feed....TURTLES! Not to mention the ones we have hibernate 5 months out of the year.
There is a woman in town who rescues turtles and just happened to have a couple of babies that needed a home. Yes, we have 2. The other one is named Moto Moto (from Madagascar 2). He was unavailable for a photo because he's been hiding a lot in the pen. Apparently almost all turtles from pet stores have been taken from the wild, and end up being too stressed out to thrive in captivity. So, after some research I found this woman in Clovis who takes in turtles that people can't care for etc. When Hannah and I arrived at her house to pick up our little babies I was SHOCKED! It was like a turtle zoo. She has around 125 turtles. She has at least 10 different species both aquatic and land dwelling. She even has one that weighs about 500lbs! He was a little scary for us to be close to.
We are having so much fun, the kids are loving it. We'll put in more photos when we can coax Moto Moto out of hiding.





No comments:

Post a Comment